Wikipedia gets some great results on Google. It usually appears near the top of Google’s Search Results Page.
If appropriately used, Wikipedia can be a very effective online marketing tool for manufacturers and distributors. You’ll increase your online visibility using Wikipedia. Unfortunately, many companies don’t know how to use Wikipedia properly.
Misuse and abuse of Wikipedia often result in heavy editing and possible deletion of company Wikipedia pages.
Keep reading this post to learn how to create a Wikipedia page for your company that won’t get deleted or edited!
If you’re new to Wikipedia, here is what you need to know. Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia. But it’s a lot different than the ones you probably had in your high school library.
However, Wikipedia uses strict editorial guidelines to ensure that no one abuses the online encyclopedia.
To have a good Wikipedia post about your company, you have to write from an objective point of view. Your Wikipedia post can’t sound like an advertisement for your company. It has to be free of opinion.
If your post does not meet the editorial guidelines, it could be deleted or heavily edited.
Reasons You Should Use Wikipedia
You’re probably thinking: What are the benefits if other people can delete or edit the post?
Don’t worry too much about it getting deleted or edited. As long as you follow the rules, you should have no trouble creating a great Wikipedia post for your company. In fact, there are several great benefits.
- Improves Reputation: A good Wikipedia post adds a lot of credibility to your company.
- Enhances Visibility: You’ll start to see more web traffic, and more people will learn about your company.
- Boosts Search Engine Results: With a Wikipedia page, you’ll have another website about your company at the top of the search results.
- Grows Sales: The increase in visibility and the reputation boost could impact sales.
It’s totally worth creating a Wikipedia page. It’s a straightforward way to boost the online marketing results of your company.
The following section will show you how to create an acceptable Wikipedia page.
How To Create A Wikipedia Page
To create a great Wikipedia page, you’ll want to follow the points below.
1. Follow The Guidelines
Before creating a Wikipedia page, you must thoroughly read the Wikipedia writing guidelines. These guidelines will give you the “dos” and “don’ts” of creating a Wikipedia page.
Some things that you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Is your company notable? Have people written about your company on the internet?
- Never advertise or write anything that sounds promotional.
- Your post will need to be substantial. It needs to be more than a few sentences.
- Use citable information. Look for online articles and posts about your company.
Following these points will help you get started.
2. Get A Wikipedia Account
You’ll need one if you don’t have a Wikipedia account. To get an account, you’ll need to create a username and a password on the Create an Account Page. It’s relatively easy to create an account.
3. Research Your Company Online
To create a company Wikipedia page, you must find articles about your company. It’s important to find reputable articles. Good articles include:
- Magazine articles
- Newspaper articles
- Trade magazines
You will have to rely on outside information to create your Wikipedia page. The website frowns upon companies that cite a lot of information from their websites. You may want to do a little public relations outreach if you don’t have many online articles.
4. Develop An Outline
At this point, you’re ready to create the framework for your Wikipedia page. Use the articles that you researched to create an outline.
You’ll want to start by providing general information about your company:
- Company History
- General overview of products and services
From there, you’ll want to go more in-depth about your products and services.
5. Create Your Wikipedia Page
You’re now ready to create your Wikipedia page. Watch the video below for more tips on creating a great page.
Get Help Now!